We all play a role in reducing the spread of COVID-19 in our schools. Christel House Indianapolis is committed to working with the Indiana Department of Health to reduce your child’s exposure to COVID-19.
- Due to the delta variant, masks are required for all students and staff while indoors regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks are required for all visitors — parents/guardians, community partners, volunteers —regardless of vaccination status while indoors.
- Masks are required on busses at all times.
- Students are responsible for bringing their own masks to school each day.
- Students and staff may remove masks to eat or play wind instruments, and athletes may take off masks while in the field of play. Choir students should remain masked unless spaced more than 6 feet apart or outdoors. Masks are recommended for recess for unvaccinated students if they cannot remain socially distant.
- Students and staff who are vaccinated are not required to wear masks while outdoors.
We strongly encourage all students, staff, and family members who are eligible for the vaccine to get vaccinated. Students who wish to attend overnight field experiences are required to be vaccinated in order to attend.
Students and staff who have symptoms (cough, should stay home. If they or anyone in their household is awaiting COVID-19 test results, students should stay home.
SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19
- Shortness of Breath
- Muscle/Body Aches
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Sore Throat
- Sinus Congestion
After looking at the instances of outbreaks in Indiana schools (where close contacts become positive cases after coming in close contact with a positive individual in school) the research led state epidemiologists to conclude that instances of student to student spread is low enough in schools with mask mandates to make quarantine optional in cases were all impacted students were masked (close contacts and the positive individual). In cases where there were outbreaks of masked individuals, it was an unmasked individual and/or the teacher who was the cause of the outbreak. Our own data parallel the findings from the ISDH and MCPHD.
In line with the data and new guidance, we are taking a cautious approach to minimize the number of students who have to quarantine while still ensuring we are minimizing risk to our staff and students. You can find the updated quarantine guidance for adults and staff, as well as those for positive cases here. Please note that there is different guidance for traditional aged K-12 students from our staff and DORS students.
At this time, Christel House Academy South and West, Watanabe High School, and Manual High School are not offering elearning options except to those students who are in quarantine. Students who must quarantine due to COVID-19 will receive classwork from their individual teachers via Google Classroom. While in quarantine, students are expected to complete classwork daily on their school computers.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.